Tuesday, April 14, 2020

UHSAA Cancels Season

April 14,
Well... what can I say. With today's announcement by the governor that schools will remain closed for the rest of the school year, the UHSAA (the state athletic association) has cancelled the remaining season for all spring sports including regular season and region and state championships.

I'm so bummed right now; I can't even begin to express my feelings. We love all of you and miss all of you and feel so bad for all of you. I think that most of us just really wanted a chance to compete. A chance to show our hard work and improvement. A fair chance to show what kind of amzaing team we really are. And in some ways, we were able to do that. But, no doubt, not to our fullest extent.

It definitely is a "life isn't fair" type of moment.

And you know what, everyone of you deserves to have any and all of the feelings you want. Me... I've been mad, sad, frustrated, disappointed and about everything there is on the negative kind of side of things. But I'm also very proud of all of you and just overjoyed that I've been able to be your coach - and I know each other coach feels the exact same way. We love you all so much. You are the reason we do this. Getting to be around your example of hard work and growth. Seeing how you care about each other and are willing to push yourselves for the team.

You seniors... I can't even... I am just so, so sorry. This really couldn't happen to a greater group - and you don't deserve this crap. Thank you for all you've done for the program, your teammates and us coaches. You are amazing young men and women and are going to do great things in life!

Please, all of you... reach out and talk to one another. Send us coaches texts and give us a call if you need some support. 'Cause we need your support too.

What do you we all do now? We probably be mad for awhile. We probably get a bit frustrated. Some of us will probably shed a tear or two realizing what we are going to miss. I went for a long run and just tried to clear my head. We probably need to talk to people - so do. We definitely need to keep working out (it probably won't be in quite the same way and with the same intensity that some of you have been doing as you've tried to keep in shape) - but at a time like this, we need to exercise, we need to burn up a little of the feelings - so please do! Don't be ashamed of any emotion that you have (even happy, but especially disappointed); it is okay to be feeling all sorts of stuff right now.

I'll keep you updated on things. I want to keep chatting and talking. So don't be surprised to see a message from me and your event coaches as well.

But most of all, know that you really are cared for. There's people around to reach out to if you need to - coaches, parents, teammates, other friends, pets, the trails, God, who or whatever... It's okay to need some help. When you lose something that is important to you, it's okay to need some help.

Love and miss you,
-holt

No comments:

Post a Comment